Quick facts and figures about the Logistics industry
Did you know?
- The Netherlands was ranked 4th in the 2016 World Bank global Logistics Performance Index (based on terms of efficiency and effectiveness of its customs procedures, quality of transport, IT infrastructure, affordability of shipping and the level of professionalism of the logistics industry).
- The Port of Rotterdam is the world’s 3rd-largest and Europe’s largest port with a throughput of 461 million tons in 2016. From the Port of Rotterdam, all major industrial and economic centres in Western Europe can be reached in less than 24 hours.
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol ranks as the 4th largest airport in Europe, in terms of passenger numbers and cargo volume: 68.5 million passengers, 1.8 million tons of cargo.
- In 2013, Schiphol won the ‘ACI EUROPE Best Airport’ award for the 4rth time. Business Traveller voted Amsterdam Schiphol Airport as Europe’s best in 2012, 2013 and 2016. Schiphol won the Agents’Choice Award for favourite international airport in 2012 and 2016. Also, the airport also won IATA Cargo Excellence Award.
- Dutch inland shipping accounts for 54% of all trade shipping in Western Europe. The Dutch fleet is, with 7,000 vessels, the biggest and most modern in Europe. 79% of all containers transported via inland navigation in the EU-28 countries passes through Dutch territory.
- Over 1,000 American and Asian companies have centralised their European distribution activities in the Netherlands. The country hosts over 20 million square metres of distribution centres.
- The Netherlands has the third cooling and freezing storage capacity in the EU.