Quick facts and figures about the Logistics industry
Logistics in the Netherlands: The gateway to Europe
Did you know?
- The Netherlands was ranked 2nd in the 2015 World Bank global Logistics Performance Index (based on terms of efficiency and effectiveness of its customs, quality of transport, IT infrastructure for logistics and ease and affordability of shipping).
- The Port of Rotterdam is the world’s 9th-largest and Europe’s largest port with a throughput of 446 million tons in 2015. From the Port of Rotterdam, all major industrial and economic centres in Western Europe can be reached in less than 24 hours.
- In 2013, Schiphol won the ‘ACI EUROPE Best Airport’ award for the fourth time. In 2015 Amsterdam Schiphol Airport was second best in the category ‘over 25 million passenger’ category. Schiphol won the award for Best Airport in Europe for the 20th time at the 2015. At the 2014 World Airport Awards air travellers voted Amsterdam Airport Schiphol the Best Airport in Western Europe.
- Dutch inland shipping accounts for 54% of all trade shipping in Western Europe. The Dutch fleet is, with 7,000 vessels, the biggest and most modern in Europe. 79% of all containers transported via inland navigation in the EU-28 countries passes through Dutch territory.
- Over 1,000 American and Asian companies have centralised their European distribution activities in the Netherlands. The country hosts over 20 million square metres of distribution centres.
- The Netherlands has the third cooling and freezing storage capacity in the EU.